EIT HEALTH BELGIUM-NETHERLANDS NEWSLETTER | April 2021
What is needed to successfully transform healthcare with AI across Europe?
EIT Health has launched a new AI report from its Think Tank, outlining the urgent need for a post-pandemic technological revolution to prevent EU health systems from struggling over the next decade.
The report concludes that AI and digital solutions are urgently needed, with healthcare workforces already straining to meet demand due to increasing populations and people living longer.
Practical AI for healthcare professionals
The education project AIProHealth (Practical Artificial Intelligence (AI) for healthcare professionals) starting. The project is part of the 2021 education portfolio and is led by the Data Science Center in Health (DASH) of the UMCG.
The first implementations of artificial intelligence in healthcare are visible. However, its role in daily practise is still limited. Obstacles to increasing the implementation of AI in healthcare include the lack of knowledge and the resistance of healthcare professionals to the use of AI solutions in practice. Thanks to the AIProHealth project, large numbers of European healthcare professionals will be trained to reduce fear of AI and increase the involvement of healthcare professionals in the deployment and implementation of AI.
Find out more
EIT Health seeks partners to build a healthcare talent pool
EIT Health is seeking partners to join in a European Coalition that works to attract, retain and train talent in healthcare innovation, boost the attractiveness of the sector for new talent, and support its transformation.
If Europe is to maintain a vibrant and viable healthcare sector that can lead in innovation, we must rise to the challenge of recruiting and educating the best talent.
Launch event EIT Health Workin’ Health
Join us to discuss the need for talent, explore use-cases on specific skills set and sectors, hear about activities and programmes under the Workin’Health initiative and opportunities in joining the coalition.
- 19 May 2021 | 14:00 – 15:30 hrs
- Register here
Apply by 26 May 2021
BENEFIT – the Health Innovation Fellowship
BENEFIT – the novel one-year postgraduate health innovation fellowship organised in Belgium and the Netherlands – accepts applications from future fellows.
BENEFIT fellows starting in September 2021 will be biodesign healthcare innovation fellowship pioneers in Belgium and the Netherlands. Want to learn more now before applying? Read this interview with our Education manager and Fellowship alumni Akvile Zalatoryre.
Pilot Call for Proposals | Apply by 25 May 2021
EIT Higher Education Institutions (HEI) Initiative
The European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT) launched a new initiative to boost innovation in higher education institutions across Europe and unlock their potential for innovation and entrepreneurship. The Pilot Call for Proposals is now inviting European higher education institutions to design institution-wide action plans that will improve their entrepreneurial and innovative capacity across all institutional levels. By supporting such activities, this new EIT-wide initiative will create systemic impact, empowering HEIs to become regional engines of innovation and foster sustainable growth and jobs across Europe.
Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity!
Bridgehead announces first start-ups for 2021
Thirty-five SMEs promoting a wide range of healthcare technologies – from medical imaging to exoskeletons – have been selected to receive support in reaching markets in Europe and beyond as part of EIT Health’s Bridgehead programme.
The programme is split into Bridgehead Europe and Bridgehead Global, with applicants selecting their route depending on the regions they want to target. Both avenues bring together European health entrepreneurs who want to grow their business beyond their home market with the world’s top incubators and accelerators (Catalysers) to plan how to access new markets quickly and decisively, tap into local networks of partners and clients, access infrastructure and understand new regulatory systems.
From our Regional Innovation Hub four companies were selected:
- MRIguidance is a medical imaging software company combining a profound knowledge of MR physics with the newest deep learning techniques to visualise bone with MRI.
- Stroke2prevent B.V.: has created The A-View® device that minimizes the risk of embolisms causing stroke in cardiac interventions. The A-View® balloon device eliminates the Ultrasound blind spot enabling real-time imaging of the main blood vessel from the heart with a direct improved outcome.
- SuperSeton B.V.: is a CE class IIA Medical Device solution that prevents unnecessary irritation and discomfort for patients being treated for fistulas.
- ArthroSave: offers a joint preserving surgical treatment for relatively young patients with knee osteoarthritis. The KneeReviver unloads the knee joint and allows for joint tissue repair, reducing pain and improving mobility.
EIT Health Start-up Stories
Great news to share from Start-ups we are supporting:
- Microsure raises € 2.7 million under new leadership
- Live streaming from the OR helps medical education. Collaboration Reinier de Graaf hospital and Cresent Tech (video)
- Neuroventis, a Belgium start-up for epilepsy and migraine, raises € 1 million
Feature Headstart Start-up video
- MLA Diagnostics is developing a prognostic test for the newly identified DNA methylation biomarker, LY75, that will allow dermato-oncologists and pathologists to determine objectively and with high certainty which early stage melanoma patients have a poor five-year prognosis, allowing doctors to prescribe more aggressive treatment in these cases.
EIT Health Opportunities
- Short Design thinking course for innovations in health care, apply by 13 May 2021
- HEI Initiative: Innovation Capacity Building for Higher Education, apply by 25 May 2021
- BENEFIT – Health Innovation Fellowship, apply by 26 May 2021
- Patient Innovation Bootcamp, apply by 15 June 2021
- MedTech Bootcamp, apply by 15 June 2021
- EIT Health Alumni Network, ongoing application
Find more opportunities online.
19.05.2021 | Online
VBHC Prize Event 2021
19.05.2021 | Online
EIT Health Workin’Health launch event
23.06.2021 | Online
EIT Health Investor Lounge
Check the Events page for updates, further events and details
Bron: EIT Health
Datum: 3 mei 2021